Hello, I am MSGT Charles Cogburn and I am excited to have this opportunity to work with your child. I have served both this Nation and Community with Pride, Retiring from both the New Mexico Air National Guard and the Albuquerque Fire Dept.
The School Year 2020-2021 will of course start out virtually. Things will be changing I'm sure quite frequently. If you have any questions or concerns please contact myself or the front office staff. You may also check the APS website for any updated information.
The Wilson MS Leadership Academy is intended to develop Citizens of Character and Tomorrow's Leaders. The program achieves this through classroom education on Leadership Qualities and Characteristics, Air and Space fundamentals and the Science of Flight. There will be hands on learning opportunities in a number of fun and challenging extra-curricular activities.
The Wilson Leadership program is grounded in the Air Force core values of
- Integrity First
- Service Before Self
- and Excellence in All We Do
Exploratory Leadership Cadets will be on the Wheel Program and will focus on Leadership and Team Building Skills as well as an introduction to Aerospace Science.
Leadership I Cadets will focus on Aerospace Science and Engineering. We will be designing, building, wind testing and flying our own aircraft and rockets, as well as learning the basics of flying on our Flight Simulators.
Leadership II Cadets will focus on Military History and Civics. They will be trained in First Aid, CPR and Survival Skills. We will also further the Aerospace Science aspect with more technical projects.
There will be a degree of Academic rigor to the program and along the way your child will earn promotions and acquire new leadership responsibilities. The Cadets will have the opportunity to become part of a Team and compete in competitions throughout the school year. Wilson has become Nationally Recognized as one of the Top Programs in the State of New Mexico and the United States. With Numerous City, State and now National Titles!
Events our Cadets Have Participated In
- Veterans Day Parade
- Presented the Colors at Wilson Home Volleyball and Basketball Games
- Presented the Colors at NM United Soccer, Albuquerque Isotopes, NM Gladiators, UNM Lobo Men's and Women's Basketball Games as well as HHS Football and Basketball games.
- Collected, Packaged and mailed over 1500 Christmas "Care Packages" to American Troops serving in World Wide
- Delivered 1000's of Well Wish Letters to Veterans at the VA Hospital in Albuquerque
- Community Service Projects in the WMS Community
- Citizenship Ceremony for local Veteran (story in Albuquerque Journal)
- International Sea Perch Competition at the University of Massachusetts 2018
- International Sea Perch Competition at the University of Maryland 2019
- Lunar Landing Challenge at NM State University 2019
- Sail Camp (Cochiti Lake)
- STEM Camp ( West Mesa High School)
- Lunar Landing Challenge (NM State University)
The Program Helps Students
- Being part of a Team
- Developing Leadership Skills
- Experience an introduction to Aerospace Science
- Earn Rank and Awards
- Solidify their Moral Character
- Instill Pride within the student
- Make friends and have fun
The Students Help the School
- Strengthening Discipline thereby reducing Referrals
- Boost attendance through student morale
- Acquire opportunities for peer mentoring
- Participate with Community Service Projects
- Provide an enhanced curriculum proven interesting and challenging to students